Sunday, June 30, 2019

The food charmer

This  person needs a mention in the blog. This is Anupaaam (Anupam). He is an awesome artist, a self made person who has a very strong Bengali accent to his English and other languages he speaks in. Thats why the Anupaaam. Well, whats interesting is he picked up English in Hyderabad and managed to still pick a Bengali accent due to his Bengali guide. He calls Vice Chancellor as bhais sensual art. Birthday - Baarthday. And does not mind we imitating him on his cute accent.
Well, the blog is not for that.
I happened to attend a party where in he was a part. I am anyways not so good at socializing  other than the social media. (I know I am boring). He was going to cook. He did cook fish in one of the last parties, and it was awesome. - Ok, I was prejudiced that he would cook great fish, since he knew Bengali cooking. And he has a house by a fish pond / he has a fish pond in his house. oh My God, How cool is that ?
Here, he made a platter of various things put in together. Eggs, Apples, onions, tomato, groundnuts (he calls them Baadaaam - almonds) and arranged it so damn well. And he also very lovingly helped us with how should we eat it. It tasted so good. A recipe which came out of no recipe book or youtube but out of his heart.
He made fish and chicken too, the explanation he gave, was he spent in a lot of energy in making the dish, since my daughter was going to eat it. He has got some spice which has been specially dried from a given number of years, which someone has gifted him. He explained he started cookking since 12 years since he left home. He cooked for himself. He has been invited to cook when he was in Switzerland, Zurich etc. All this, so much of love in making and not an iota of ego or attitude. I can still not believe that people like this exist.
I have been cooking for so many years (25 years to be precise, well, i did start early) now. I have been following recipes. adding in love to it. But so much ! no! Cooking has rather been a compulsion to me and a way to prove myself and my prowess at my marital home (which despite the effort, was not very successful and certified btw).
Sometimes it comes to my mind, today I cook, because there has to be food on plate. I make it with love but that one secret sauce that Anupam has / had put in what he made is definitely missing.
And, I definitely dont know what it is. though I know my daughter loves what I make and my family - dad does too, but my marital home never did. There is something missing in the way I cook for sure.
I hope I learn it from Anupam one day, or maybe not.

Kudos to the food charmer!



2 comments: